Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Increase Your QuOL

Here are three easy ways I feel anyone can increase their QuOL (Quality Of Life)

1. Possess a Positive Attitude
(The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes. ~William James)

Focus on how your day has been going so far. Have there been difficulties, since the minute you woke up late? Did you feel overwhelmed at work or frustrated with a co-worker? Has the weather or traffic been bringing you down? How you choose to deal with any of the annoying things that add clutter to your day can have a drastic effect on your overall performance in the areas of your life that matter the most. Public or private having a positive attitude will radiate to those around you and also project a positive self image every time you look in the mirror. This approach can have resounding effects on reaching your goals faster and more efficiently than if you carried a negative view point. One lesson I learned from playing football was no matter how shitty you thought you played, when you reviewed the film the following day things are never as bad they seemed. So if something is getting you down, be a problem solver, do something proactive to change the situation don't just sit back and bitch about it.

2. Do What Makes You The Most Happy, Don't Be Bothered If Someone Criticizes You For It
(Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort. - Franklin D. Roosevelt)

Each of us is an individual. We all have different dreams, goals, wants, and needs. I think that if you truly want to be satisfied in this life, then you need to start doing the things necessary to fulfill the things that make each of us unique. People are always going to have an opinion about things you do, regardless if it is positive, negative, voiced publicly or kept to themselves, don't get discouraged if someone who is close to you disagrees with a decision you make. I have a friend who picks on me because he found out early in our relationship that I'm a pretty easy target, more often than not I won't retaliate back and embarrass him. So he picks on me in social situations for 1. because he can get a rise out of others at my expense, and 2. because he knows I'm tough enough to not take it personally. Regardless of this abuse, we're really close and I value his friendship a lot. Probably sounds stupid, but guess what, I don't care what you think! :)



3. Make Time For The People That Matter Most
(If somebody would harm my family or friend or somebody I love, I would eat them. I might end up in jail for 500 years, but I would eat them. - Johnny Depp)

Don't neglect your family and friends. These are the people who will stand by you when you're going through hell. I found that since college ended it is harder to make time to see people you took for granted being there everyday. It is easy to get caught up with work or trying to recover from a long workweek, but I have found that I'm much more satisfied after a visit with someone I haven't seen for a while even if I have to go the extra mile to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment