Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Weekly Thoughts



My Heroine - Silverstein

This is an older song, but I just heard it for the first time last week and have probably listened to it 150 times since then...OC?...maybe, but it just gets me jacked up and excited. It also reminds me of how I feel when I'm lifting heavy shit. The feeling of exerting so much stress on yourself that you almost black out. Then lie back, relax, and let the endorphins send you into a state of euphoria.

Better Than Drugs?

For me lifting/exercise is an escape, its a chance to relax. It's an outlet to stress relief. A way to measure my current self up against my past self, a way to progress, a way to feel good, a way to accomplish goals, a way to positively impact my life. This is one of my favorite quotes,

“The iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The iron will always kick you the real deal. The iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But, two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.” - Henry Rollins

The best part about lifting is the weight is always a constant. Faced with a bar full of 45's it all comes down to you can or you can't. If you fail you can't hide from that, there is no excuse, you have to except the fact that you're not good enough. You have to work harder until you succeed. If I find in a situation confronted by the latter, you bet I'm going to work my ass off in order to change the odds in my favor. So, is it the same for you? I’m sure there are other things that affect people the same way. What’s your heroine?

No comments:

Post a Comment