Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Classic Fish Fry

I've had a lot of chances to fish and provide food for myself already this summer. Two of my favorite types of fish to catch are Crappies and Sunfish. They can be picky and challenging to hook, and quite feisty despite their small size. The bite has been steady the past few weeks in the evening and picking up during the morning hours this week.



A Perfect Slab! - Black Crappie

I made a tasty meal last night with my most recent bounty. I added sides of home-made coleslaw and grilled asparagus. Here's how I did the fish:

Ingredients:

Fish Fillets - 14
Wheat Flour - 1 cup
Lowreys Season Salt - 1/3 cup
Panko - 1 cup
Pecans - 1/2 cup
Eggs - 2 organic brown
Olive Oil - pour steady for a 15s count
Lemon - 1 Medium

I use a cast iron skillet over medium heat for the fryer. Fill the pan with the oil and start it heating. Wash the fillets and drop them into a large freezer bag filled with the wheat flour and season salt. Give them a good shake and make sure they are fully coated with mix (may have to do two or three batches). Chop the pecans as small as possible and mix with the panko in a glass baking dish. Crack and scramble the eggs in a small bowl. Take the fish fillets and soak them in the egg, then dredge with panko and pecan mix. By now, the oil should be ready. The key is to have the oil hot, but not to the point where it is smoking. Fry the fillets in batches for 3:30 to 4:30 min each. Garnish with lemon juice and chow while their still warm!


The Classic Fish Fry

No comments:

Post a Comment