Thursday, May 20, 2010

One Pot Meal

Since I'm back to cooking for myself full time, I think I'll try to share a few recipes. The first one here is an old school favorite of mine, It's called boiled dinner. I gotta thank my Grandma Mary for introducing this one to me, nothing beats it after a hard days work or workout. Although I'm not sure I'd go with it for a first date meal, but I think it will score big points with the g/f or wife, and its definitely what I call a KISS meal (Keep It Simple Stupid)! Make a big batch of it, and put the leftovers in the fridge, its better a day or two later.

Ingredients:

Water - 3 Cups
Beef Stock - 1 Cup
Ham ( I used a pre sliced ham steak) - 1 lb.
Carrots - 3 whole, raw
Baby Red Potatoes - 6 whole, raw, unpeeled
Garlic - 1Tbls (or 3 cloves minced)
Yellow Onion - 1 medium
Cabbage - Half of a medium head
Salt & Pepper - To taste

Add water, beef stock, and Garlic to a large pot or Dutch Oven. Set it over a medium-high flame. Dice the ham medium and add to the pot. Half the carrots and chop them, divide the potatoes into eighths add them to the pot. Add salt and pepper (more pepper than salt). Bring to a boil, cover, and let cook for 40 - 50 min. During this time prepare the onion and cabbage. I like to slice the onion three times across the equator side and three times top to bottom (big ribbons of onion). For the cabbage, a good chop will do just fine, make sure the leaves are not too small, but not too large either. After about 45 min add, the onion and cabbage to the pot, stirring everything together. Cover and let cook an additional 20 - 25 min, or until the cabbage is tender. Remove from heat.

Serve it warm



Wine Pairing: Riesling or Gewurztraminer
After dinner drinks: Jagger or Pear Brandy (served freezing of course)

No comments:

Post a Comment